As a food enthusiast, I have always been fascinated by the unique flavors of different cuisines around the world. One of my recent culinary adventures led me to discover the Char Siu Xiu Mai Banh Mi Sandwich, a delicious fusion of Vietnamese and Chinese cuisine that has quickly become one of my all-time favorite dishes.
A Banh Mi is a Vietnamese sandwich typically made with a Vietnamese baguette, pickled vegetables, herbs, and a protein filling such as grilled pork, chicken, or tofu. However, the Char Siu Xiu Mai Banh Mi Sandwich takes it to a whole new level with its combination of savory and sweet flavors.
Char Siu Banh Mi Sandwich according to Yelo’s blog new recipe. It’s a perfect blend of taste and culture. And it will surely leave you satisfied and wanting more. I will share with you all I have learned on making the perfect Char Siu Xiu Mai Banh Mi Sandwich. From bread to the hole and fast bread mounting Whether you’re a test oven chef or a novice in the kitchen. This tutorial will help you make delicious sandwiches. Which will impress your friends and family.
Char Siu is a Cantonese-style roasted pork that is marinated in a blend of honey, soy sauce, and five-spice powder, while Xiu Mai is a Chinese-style meatball made with ground pork, water chestnuts, and Asian seasonings. Together, these two fillings create a unique and irresistible flavor profile that will leave your taste buds craving more.
In this article, Yelo will share with you everything I’ve learned about making the perfect Char Siu Xiu Mai Banh Mi Sandwich, from the bread to the fillings and the assembly of the sandwich. Whether you’re a seasoned cook or a novice in the kitchen, this guide will help you create a mouth-watering Banh Mi sandwich that will impress your friends and family.
Try this: The Ultimate Guide To Banh Mi Pate
What is char siu xiu mai banh mi?
The art of making a delicious Char Siu Xiu Mai Banh Mi Sandwich lies in the combination of the bread, fillings, and assembly of the sandwich.
Banh Mi sandwich has a long history that dates back to the French colonial period in Vietnam. Over time, the Vietnamese adapted the traditional French baguette by adding rice flour to make it lighter and crispier. This bread is an essential part of making a delicious Banh Mi.
To make the perfect Char Siu Xiu Mai Banh Mi Sandwich, it is important to start with the right type of bread. The bread should have a thin, crispy crust and a light, airy texture that can hold the fillings without becoming soggy. It is traditionally made with a combination of wheat and rice flour, which gives it a unique flavor and texture.
Next, the fillings are equally important in creating the perfect Banh Mi sandwich. The Char Siu and Xiu Mai fillings are the stars of the sandwich, bringing their unique flavors to the dish. The Char Siu filling is made by roasting marinated pork until it is tender and flavorful. The Xiu Mai filling, on the other hand, is made with ground pork, water chestnuts, and Asian seasonings, giving it a rich and savory taste.
Finally, the assembly of the sandwich is the last step in creating a perfect Char Siu Xiu Mai Banh Mi Sandwich. The bread is sliced open and spread with mayonnaise and pate, then filled with pickled carrots, daikon radish, cilantro, and sliced jalapenos. The Char Siu and Xiu Mai fillings are added on top, creating a perfect balance of flavors.
By paying attention to each of these elements, you can create a mouth-watering Char Siu Xiu Mai Banh Mi Sandwich that is sure to impress your family and friends.
What is Char Siu?
Char Siu is a Cantonese-style roasted pork that is commonly used in Chinese cuisine. The pork is marinated in a blend of honey, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, five-spice powder, and other seasonings to give it a sweet and savory flavor. The marinade gives the pork a distinctive reddish color and caramelized coating when it is cooked.
Traditionally, Char Siu is roasted in a wood-fired oven or on a spit, giving it a smoky flavor and crispy skin. It is commonly served sliced or diced and used in a variety of dishes, such as fried rice, noodles, and buns. In recent years, Char Siu has become popular in other Asian cuisines, including Vietnamese and Thai cuisine, where it is often used as a filling in Banh Mi sandwiches or served over rice.
Char Siu is a versatile ingredient that can be prepared in many ways. It can be made with different cuts of pork, such as pork belly, pork loin, or pork shoulder, and can be cooked using various methods, including grilling, baking, or frying. The result is a tender and flavorful pork that adds a unique taste to any dish.
What is Xiu Mai?
Xiu Mai is a Chinese-style meatball that is commonly used in Vietnamese cuisine. The meatballs are made with ground pork, onion, garlic, and a variety of Asian seasonings, such as soy sauce, fish sauce, and sugar. Water chestnuts are often added to the mixture to add a crunchy texture and a hint of sweetness.
Xiu Mai meatballs are traditionally steamed or simmered in a flavorful broth until they are fully cooked and tender. They can be served as a standalone dish or used as a filling for various Vietnamese dishes, such as Banh Mi sandwiches, noodle bowls, and pho.
Xiu Mai is a popular ingredient in Vietnamese cuisine due to its versatility and delicious flavor. It is a comfort food that brings back memories of family gatherings and celebrations. It can be customized to suit different tastes and preferences by adjusting the seasoning and texture. Whether you enjoy it as a standalone dish or use it as a filling, Xiu Mai is a delicious and satisfying addition to any meal.
Char Siu Xiu Mai banh mi sandwich recipe
Here is a recipe for making Char Siu Xiu Mai Banh Mi Sandwich:
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Course: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Vietnamese
- Equipment: Oven, Large Bowl, Baking Sheet, Skillet
Because char sa Xiu Mai banh mi sandwich has a lot of ingredients to make, so consider all the ingredients below:
For Char Siu:
- 1 pound boneless pork shoulder, sliced into thin strips
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
For Xiu Mai:
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup water chestnuts, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup green onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
For Cha Siu Xiu Mai Banh Mi
- 4 Banh Mi rolls, sliced lengthwise
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup pate
- 1/2 cup pickled carrots and daikon
- 1/4 cup sliced jalapenos
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
How to make Char Siu Xiu Mai banh mi sandwich?
Because of the many ingredients, many of you may think that it is also difficult to make. However, it’s not that hard to do, watch me guide you to make char sa Xiu Mai banh mi sandwich:
- To make Char Siu, mix together honey, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, vegetable oil, Chinese five-spice powder, and sesame oil in a large bowl. Add pork slices and toss until fully coated. Let marinate for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and lightly grease with vegetable oil. Place the marinated pork slices on the prepared baking sheet and roast in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until cooked through.
- To make Xiu Mai, mix together ground pork, breadcrumbs, water chestnuts, green onion, cilantro, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, fish sauce, sugar, and black pepper in a separate bowl.
- Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add Xiu Mai mixture to the skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned and cooked through, about 10-12 minutes.
- To assemble the Banh Mi sandwich, spread mayonnaise and pate on the sliced rolls. Layer with pickled carrots and daikon, sliced jalapenos, fresh cilantro leaves, and the Char Siu and Xiu Mai fillings.
- Serve immediately and enjoy the delicious flavors of this fusion sandwich!
Note: You can also make the fillings in advance and store in the refrigerator until ready to assemble the sandwich. The Char Siu and Xiu Mai fillings can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Nutrition facts of Char Siu Xiu Mai banh mi sandwich
Nutrition Facts of Char Siu Xiu Mai Banh Mi Sandwich. Serving size 1 sandwich (approximately 250 grams)
The nutrition information is based on the recipe provided and may vary depending on the specific ingredients and serving size. The Char Siu Xiu Mai Banh Mi Sandwich is a high-calorie and high-sodium dish due to the use of pork, bread, and seasonings.
However, it is also a good source of protein and dietary fiber. To make this sandwich healthier, you can use leaner cuts of pork or substitute the pork with chicken or tofu, and reduce the amount of salt and sugar in the marinades.
How to store Char Siu Xiu Mai banh mi sandwich?
Char Siu Xiu Mai Banh Mi Sandwich can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days, but it is best enjoyed fresh. To store the sandwich, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil to prevent it from drying out or getting stale. You can also store the fillings separately in airtight containers and assemble the sandwich when ready to eat.
If you want to freeze the sandwich, it is recommended to store the fillings separately and freeze them in airtight containers for up to 3 months. When ready to eat, thaw the fillings in the refrigerator overnight and assemble the sandwich just before serving. Do not freeze the assembled sandwich as it may become soggy and lose its texture.
It is important to note that the bread may become soggy over time due to the moisture from the fillings, so it is best to consume the sandwich as soon as possible after assembly.
What to serve with Char Siu Xiu Mai banh mi sandwich?
There are several sides that go well with Char Siu Xiu Mai Banh Mi Sandwich, adding more flavors and textures to the meal. Here are some service suggestions:
- Spring Rolls: Vietnamese spring rolls filled with shrimp, pork, lettuce, and herbs are a perfect complement to the Banh Mi sandwich. They are light, fresh, and provide a crunchy contrast to the sandwich.
- Banh Mi Salad: A salad made with the pickled carrots and daikon, cucumber, cilantro, and lettuce used in the Banh Mi sandwich is a great side dish. Dress it with a simple vinaigrette or some fish sauce for an extra kick.
- Vietnamese Rice Noodles: Vermicelli noodles, often used in Vietnamese cuisine, can be served with a variety of herbs, vegetables, and proteins. They are light, refreshing, and pair well with the flavors of the Banh Mi sandwich.
- Fried Rice: A classic Chinese dish, fried rice is a great side dish for Char Siu Xiu Mai Banh Mi Sandwich. It is a hearty and flavorful option that can be customized with different vegetables and meats.
- Edamame: Steamed soybeans are a healthy and easy-to-prepare side dish that can be served as an appetizer or snack with the Banh Mi sandwich.
These sides can be prepared in advance and served alongside the sandwich for a complete and satisfying meal.
Substitutes for hard-to-find ingredients
If you have trouble finding some of the ingredients to make Char Siu Xiu Mai Banh Mi Sandwich, here are some substitutes you can use:
- Char Siu Substitute: If you can’t find pork shoulder or Chinese five-spice powder, you can use other cuts of pork such as pork loin or pork belly. You can also substitute the Chinese five-spice powder with a blend of cinnamon, cloves, fennel, and anise.
- Xiu Mai Substitute: If you can’t find water chestnuts, you can use celery or jicama for a similar crunchy texture. You can also substitute the fish sauce with soy sauce or oyster sauce for a similar umami flavor.
- Banh Mi Substitute: If you can’t find Banh Mi rolls, you can use baguettes or French rolls as a substitute. The texture and flavor will be slightly different, but it will still be delicious.
- Pickled Carrots and Daikon Substitute: If you can’t find daikon, you can use regular radishes or turnips. You can also substitute the rice vinegar with apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar.
- Pate Substitute: If you can’t find pate, you can use cream cheese, butter, or avocado spread for a similar creamy texture.
Remember that these substitutes may alter the flavor and texture of the dish, but they can still produce a delicious sandwich. Be creative and use what you have available to create your own version of the Char Siu Xiu Mai Banh Mi Sandwich!
Where to buy ingredients?
You can purchase the ingredients for Char Siu Xiu Mai Banh Mi Sandwich at most Asian grocery stores or specialty markets. Here are some places where you can find the ingredients:
- Asian Grocery Stores: Asian grocery stores carry a wide variety of Asian ingredients and products, including pork shoulder, Chinese five-spice powder, hoisin sauce, soy sauce, fish sauce, and Banh Mi rolls. You can find these stores in most major cities and online.
- Local Butcher Shops: You can also purchase pork shoulder from local butcher shops or meat markets. They can often provide you with high-quality cuts of meat and may even be able to recommend cooking tips.
- Online Retailers: You can also purchase ingredients online from specialty retailers such as Amazon or Asian food marketplaces like 99 Ranch Market, H-Mart, or Seafood City.
- Farmers Markets: Farmers markets often have vendors selling fresh produce, herbs, and spices that can be used in the Banh Mi sandwich fillings and toppings.
When purchasing ingredients, be sure to check the expiration date and quality of the products to ensure they are fresh and of good quality. Also, compare prices between different stores to find the best deals and value for your money.
Where to eat Char Siu Xiu Mai banh mi sandwiches?
Char Siu Xiu Mai Banh Mi Sandwich is a popular Vietnamese-Chinese fusion dish that can be found in many Vietnamese restaurants and Banh Mi shops across the United States. Here are some restaurants that serve this delicious sandwich:
- Saigon Sandwich: Saigon Sandwich, located in San Francisco, is a popular spot for traditional Vietnamese Banh Mi sandwiches, including the Char Siu Xiu Mai Banh Mi. They use high-quality ingredients and bake their bread fresh daily.
- Banh Mi Boys: Banh Mi Boys, located in Toronto, Canada, is a popular fast-casual Vietnamese sandwich shop that offers a variety of Banh Mi options, including the Char Siu Xiu Mai Banh Mi. They also offer other Vietnamese-inspired dishes such as bao buns and rice bowls.
- Lee’s Sandwiches: Lee’s Sandwiches, with multiple locations across California, Texas, and Arizona, is a popular Vietnamese-American sandwich chain that offers a variety of Banh Mi options, including the Char Siu Xiu Mai Banh Mi. They also offer other Vietnamese-inspired dishes such as spring rolls and noodle bowls.
- Food Trucks and Street Vendors: Food trucks and street vendors are popular places to find Banh Mi sandwiches in urban areas. They often offer unique twists on traditional Banh Mi sandwiches, such as fusion ingredients or different bread options.
These are just a few examples of restaurants that serve Char Siu Xiu Mai Banh Mi Sandwich in the United States. Check out your local Vietnamese restaurants and Banh Mi shops to see if they offer this delicious fusion sandwich
Tips and tricks to make Char Siu Xiu Mai banh mi sandwich?
Besides, in order to make char sa Xiu Mai banh mi sandwiches out of delicacy and care I will show you some tips and tricks to be able to make char sa Xiu Mai banh mi sandwich.
Tips to make Char Siu Xiu Mai banh mi
- Marinate the pork for at least 1 hour to ensure that it absorbs all the flavors of the marinade.
- Use a meat thermometer to ensure that the pork is fully cooked before assembling the sandwich.
- Toast the Banh Mi rolls lightly before assembling the sandwich to give them a crispy texture.
- Use a generous amount of pickled vegetables, jalapenos, and cilantro to add freshness and crunch to the sandwich.
- Experiment with different types of meat or vegetarian fillings to create new flavor combinations.
Tips to store leftover ingredients
- Store leftover pork and Xiu Mai filling separately in airtight containers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Freeze leftover pork and Xiu Mai filling in airtight containers for up to 3 months.
- Store pickled vegetables in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
- Wrap the sandwich tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil to prevent it from drying out.
- Store the sandwich in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days.
- Reheat the sandwich in a toaster oven or oven to restore the crispiness of the bread before serving.
Creative ideas for using leftover ingredients
- Use leftover Char Siu and Xiu Mai filling in fried rice or noodle dishes for a quick and easy meal.
- Use leftover pickled vegetables in salads, tacos, or sandwiches for an added burst of flavor.
- Use leftover Banh Mi rolls to make croutons or bread pudding for a sweet or savory dish.
- Use leftover ingredients to make a Banh Mi-inspired pizza or quesadilla for a fun twist on the classic sandwich.
What are the common mistakes to avoid?
Common Mistakes to Avoid When Preparing Char Siu Xiu Mai Banh Mi Sandwich:
- Overcooking the pork: Overcooking the pork can result in tough and dry meat. Use a meat thermometer to ensure that the pork is cooked to the correct temperature (145°F).
- Under seasoning the filling: The filling should be well-seasoned with a balance of sweet, salty, and umami flavors. Taste the filling before assembling the sandwich to ensure that it is properly seasoned.
- Using stale bread: Stale bread can ruin the texture of the sandwich. Use fresh or lightly toasted Banh Mi rolls for the best texture.
- Overloading the sandwich: Overloading the sandwich with too many fillings can make it difficult to eat and result in a soggy sandwich. Use a moderate amount of fillings for a balanced and delicious sandwich.
- Not properly storing leftovers: Improperly storing leftovers can lead to food spoilage and foodborne illness. Store leftovers in airtight containers in the refrigerator or freezer.
Tips to avoid making common mistakes:
- Follow the recipe instructions carefully and pay attention to cooking times and temperatures.
- Taste the filling before assembling the sandwich to ensure that it is properly seasoned.
- Use fresh Banh Mi rolls and lightly toast them before assembling the sandwich.
- Use a moderate amount of fillings and layer them evenly for a balanced sandwich.
- Store leftovers in airtight containers in the refrigerator or freezer and consume within the recommended time frame.
These tips and avoiding common mistakes, you can ensure that your Char Siu Xiu Mai Banh Mi Sandwich turns out delicious every time.
How to reheat up char siu xiu mai banh mi sandwich?
To reheat a char siu xiu mai banh mi sandwich, follow these steps:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Wrap the sandwich in aluminum foil.
- Place the wrapped sandwich in the oven and heat it for about 10–15 minutes, or until the bread is crispy and the filling is heated through.
- Alternatively, you can reheat the sandwich in a toaster oven or on a panini press for a few minutes until it’s heated through, and the bread is toasted to your liking.
- Once the sandwich is heated through, unwrap it from the aluminum foil and enjoy it while it’s still warm.
Make sure to check the sandwich frequently while reheating to prevent overcooking or burning. Enjoy your delicious char siu xiu mai banh mi sandwich!
Are Char Siu Xiu Mai banh mi sandwiches vegetarian?
No, Char Siu Xiu Mai Banh Mi Sandwiches are not vegetarian as they contain pork in the form of Char Siu and Xiu Mai filling. However, you can make a vegetarian version of the sandwich by using plant-based proteins such as tofu or seitan as a filling.
Does Char Siu Xiu Mai banh mi sandwich like to eat in Vietnam?
Char Siu Xiu Mai Banh Mi Sandwich is a fusion dish that combines Chinese and Vietnamese flavors. While Banh Mi sandwiches are popular in Vietnam, the addition of Char Siu and Xiu Mai filling is not a traditional Vietnamese ingredient. However, the sandwich has gained popularity in Vietnamese communities and is now commonly found in Banh Mi shops and Vietnamese restaurants in the United States and other countries.
Finally, Char Siu Xiu Mai Banh Mi Sandwich is a delicious fusion of Chinese and Vietnamese flavors that has become popular in many countries, especially in the United States.
Making this sandwich requires some preparation and cooking skills, but the end result is well worth the effort. By following the recipe instructions carefully, avoiding common mistakes, and using fresh ingredients, you can create a delicious and satisfying sandwich that will impress your family and friends.
Whether you are a fan of traditional Banh Mi sandwiches or looking for a new flavor combination, Char Siu Xiu Mai Banh Mi Sandwich is a must-try dish that will tantalize your taste buds and leave you wanting more. So why not give it a try and experience the flavors of this unique and delicious fusion dish for yourself?
Keep reading: Top 20 Vietnamese Breakfasts You Should Try