Chicken pho, also known as Vietnamese chicken noodle soup, is a popular and flavorful dish that originated in Vietnam. It is a fragrant and comforting soup made with chicken, rice noodles, and an aromatic broth infused with spices and herbs. Chicken pho is a staple in Vietnamese cuisine and is loved for its rich flavors and nourishing qualities.
Must read: 9 Different Types of Pho
Is chicken pho healthy?
Chicken pho not only delights the taste buds but also offers several health benefits. Here are some reasons why chicken pho is considered a healthy choice:
- Balanced Nutrition: Chicken pho is a complete meal that provides a balance of proteins, carbohydrates, and vegetables, making it a nutritious choice.
- Immune-Boosting Ingredients: The aromatic broth of chicken pho is typically prepared with spices like ginger, star anise, and cinnamon, which are known for their immune-boosting properties.
- Hydration: Chicken pho is a soup-based dish that helps in maintaining hydration levels in the body, especially during hot weather or when feeling under the weather.
- Digestive Health: The combination of rice noodles, chicken, and vegetables in chicken pho provides dietary fiber, aiding in digestion and promoting a healthy gut.
Instant pot chicken pho recipe
Making chicken pho at home is easier than you might think, especially if you have an Instant Pot. Here’s a step-by-step guide to making delicious chicken pho:
- Yield: 4 servings
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Course: Main Course
- Cuisine: Vietnamese
- Equipment: Instant Pot
- 1 whole chicken (about 3-4 pounds)
- 8 ounces rice noodles
- 10 cups chicken broth
- 1 onion, peeled and halved
- 2 inches of fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 star anise
- 3 cloves
- 2 cups bean sprouts
- 1 cup fresh herbs (such as cilantro, Thai basil, and mint)
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 2 jalapenos, sliced
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- Hoisin sauce, Sriracha sauce (optional)
- Prepare the chicken by removing the giblets and rinsing it thoroughly. Place the chicken in the Instant Pot.
- Add the onion, ginger, cinnamon sticks, star anise, and cloves to the Instant Pot.
- Pour the chicken broth into the Instant Pot, covering the chicken and aromatics.
- Close the Instant Pot lid and set the valve to “Sealing”. Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Once the cooking time is complete, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, and then manually release the remaining pressure.
- Carefully remove the chicken from the Instant Pot and shred the meat using two forks.
- Cook the rice noodles according to the package instructions.
- Assemble the chicken pho bowls by placing a portion of rice noodles in each bowl, topping it with shredded chicken, bean sprouts, fresh herbs, sliced onions, and jalapenos.
- Ladle the hot broth over the ingredients in each bowl.
How to eat chicken pho?
Take a moment to appreciate the fragrant aroma rising from the steaming bowl of chicken pho before digging in.
Use your chopsticks or a spoon to mix the noodles, chicken, vegetables, and herbs together, ensuring every bite is a flavorful combination.
Customize your chicken pho by adding pho sauces like hoisin sauce, Sriracha sauce and lime wedges according to your taste preferences.
The broth is the heart of chicken pho. Take time to sip the warm, flavorful broth between bites to fully experience its richness.
Chicken pho offers a delightful mix of textures, from the tender chicken and soft rice noodles to the crunchy bean sprouts and fresh herbs. Appreciate the interplay of textures as you enjoy each spoonful.
Is chicken pho gluten-free?
Yes, chicken pho can be gluten-free if you use gluten-free rice noodles and ensure that the condiments and sauces you use are gluten-free as well.
Can I make chicken pho ahead of time?
Yes, you can make chicken pho ahead of time. Prepare the broth and shred the chicken in advance. When ready to serve, reheat the broth and assemble the bowls with fresh rice noodles, herbs, and toppings.
How long does chicken pho last in the fridge?
Chicken pho can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Make sure to store the broth and the toppings separately to maintain their freshness.
Can I freeze chicken pho?
While it’s best to consume chicken pho fresh, you can freeze the broth separately for up to 3 months. However, note that the texture of the rice noodles may change upon thawing and reheating.
Can I use chicken breast instead of a whole chicken?
Yes, you can use chicken breasts instead of a whole chicken. However, using a whole chicken adds more flavor and richness to the broth.
Chicken pho is a delicious and healthy Vietnamese chicken noodle soup that satisfies both the taste buds and the body. Its aromatic broth, tender chicken, and delicate rice noodles make it a comforting and nourishing dish.
By following a simple recipe and incorporating fresh ingredients, you can enjoy a bowl of homemade chicken pho packed with flavors and goodness. So, why not try making chicken pho at home and experience the joy of this beloved Vietnamese soup?